Aphasia is a communication disability which occurs when the communication centres of the brain are damaged. It is usually caused by stroke, but can also be caused by a brain haemorrhage, brain tumour, or other neurological condition.
The Aphasia Alliance is a coalition of key organisations from all over the UK that work in the field of Aphasia.
We have united to raise awareness of Aphasia.
The members of the Aphasia Alliance range from very small local charities, to large national organisations.
- Aphasia Now
- British Aphasiology Society
- Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland
- Connect - the communication disability network
- Different Strokes
- NETA - North East Trust for Aphasia
- Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists
- Speakability (Action for Dysphasic Adults)
- The Stroke Association
- The Tavistock Trust for Aphasia